- You never realize how much stuff you have until you have to pack it all in boxes and put it on a truck. I think I have a reasonable amount of things. The hubs thinks I have enough tools and utensils to stock 5 kitchens. I think he is wrong. A girl needs options for baking cupcakes, making cookies and creating fabulous casseroles!
- We will never rent from Budget again. Their service was less than satisfactory, they weren't helpful when it came to making sure we had everything we needed, and none of our cars (which are regular cars) would fit on the tow dolly, so we had to make an extra trip back up to Augusta to pick up the 2nd car.
- You also never realize how much stuff is really 'essential' for day to day life until you have to put the majority of your things in storage. We're temporarily staying with family until we find a more permanent place and 90% of our stuff is in storage. When I originally packed everything I thought we'd have a lot more stuff with us at the house. I was kind of sad when I had to pick and choose a few cookbooks to keep with me and the rest had to be exiled to storage for a while.
- I've really enjoyed learning my way around town and trying out new restaurants so far. So far I've discovered a yummy sandwich place and frozen yogurt within two blocks of my office. Score!
- Living with family has been ok so far too. The only hiccup is that I got kind of spoiled in my old kitchen and now I'm cooking somewhere much smaller without all my kitchen gadgets and good knives. I haven't learned my way around the kitchen here yet, so it's kind of awkward like wearing someone else's shoes that don't fit quite right.
Friday, February 25, 2011
A few more thoughts on the move...
Monday, February 21, 2011
A couple of months ago I decided to be brave and apply for a job outside Augusta. I've lived there most of my life and while, I really do like it I wanted to see what else was out there. (I guess I really should say semi-brave since Matt has a lot of family in Florida, so we aren't completely alone which is good.) Since we don't have kids or own a home yet, we thought it might be a good time to branch out a little bit. I was offered a job working for tourism in Gainesville, FL so we decided to take a chance and see what happens.After my last days of work at my job in Augusta (I miss my coworkers already!) and my cousin's wedding in Atlanta, we spent the better part of a week finishing up packing everything. Thursday the boys hit the road to Gainesville and I stayed one more night to visit with my family.The next day I hopped in my truck that was packed with all of our outdoor stuff (grill, patio furniture, etc.) and hit the road for Florida.
The morning was pretty foggy when I got started.
I passed through Statesboro and waved hi to Georgia Southern!
Hopping on I95 at Savannah
Crossing the state line...
I stopped in Starke at the Dairy Freeze for a strawberry shake.
If you're ever on Hwy 301 heading through town, stop for a shake, you won't regret it!
Welcome to Gainesville
The last stop was unpacking everything nonessential into our storage unit...I'm pretty sure Matt was tired of driving the 24 foot truck at this point...
We managed to get the rest of our things into storage with the help of our friend and the greatest moving buddy ever, Rob. I promise we didn't leave him in storage with all of our stuff!
So now we're here...I started work last week and I'm still getting settled in. Every day feels a little bit better, but I am a tad homesick and hoping that things will slow down soon.
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
My cousin Haley got married in Atlanta this past weekend and we all had a ball celebrating her and Kevin's nuptials!
Haley and her Bridesmaids
Bridal Luncheon...strawberry soup and frozen fruit salad, so cute!
Red Velvet Cake with a cheesecake layer in the middle at the rehearsal dinner...to.die.for. So delicious!
Getting makeup done...
Haley and I getting ready to watch her walk down the aisle!
Their sign at Flint Hill Mansion
Aunt Gail and I ready for the wedding!
Haley and Me, Bride and Matron of Honor
First Dance as Mr. & Mrs.
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Cousins celebrating! Bradley, Haley and Me
Cheers to The Smiths!